Who’s Your Farmer?
2019 was the first season that Dancing Seeds Farm offered CSA (community supported agriculture) memberships. A CSA is a grower-customer relationship model in which customers sign up (and pay) for a membership at the beginning of the season, thereby helping the farmer know what and how much to plant. Then, as the season progresses, the member-customers can look forward to a weekly variety of just-picked produce as well as a newsletter with recipes and other information.
This year, we enjoyed getting to know our members when they stopped by for their boxes, and they enjoyed getting to know who was growing their beets and carrots, lettuce and salad mix, kale, peppers, potatoes, garlic, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, plums, cut flowers, herbs, and much, much more.
We’re now taking reservations for 2020!
The produce season will run from early May to October, or 24 weeks. The flower season will run from June through August (about 13 weeks). Are you ready to join? If you do, you can look forward to:
- Unbelievably fresh and delicious, nutrition-packed seasonal herbs, fruits, and vegetables.
- Prices comparable and often cheaper than retail.
- A sense of connection to the people who are lovingly growing the food you’re feeding your family and to the land where it’s grown.
- Recipes and nutritional information.
- Saved time! Your pre-packed box of delicious fruits and vegetables will be waiting for you when you arrive on CSA pick-up day.
- Variety in your diet. We’ll try to keep your boxes filled with different things from week to week.
- Peace of mind that you’re helping your community by keeping your dollars local.
- Regular Share – $625 for the season ($26/week). This is a good fit for 2-4 people. If you have a bigger family, love to make juice, or are just voracious vegetable eaters, we recommend buying a second share.
- Flexible Share – Don’t need a box every week? Buy a punch card for 10 boxes and let us know a week in advance: $260.
- Flower Share – $150 for the season ($11.50 per week). Includes 1 mixed seasonal bouquet each week.
- Island Love – Add a produce donation in the amount of your choice and we’ll donate on your behalf to the Friday Harbor Food Bank.
Early Worm and Refer-a-friend Discounts:
Sign up by October 31st for a 5% discount!
Refer a friend and receive an additional 5% discount! (Be sure they tell us you referred them).
Payment will be due prior to the beginning of the CSA season.
Q: How do I pick up my CSA box?
Your box or bouquet will be available for pickup between noon and 6 pm every Tuesday at our farm’s barn kitchen: 3501 Beaverton Valley Rd.
If you can’t make it that day, let us know by 6 pm (360-622-2330), and we’ll hold your box until 6 pm Wednesday. We strongly encourage you don’t wait any longer than that because we want your food to be as fresh as possible!
Q: What if I am out of town or too busy to eat my weekly share?
A: This is a great opportunity to share with your neighbors and friends! Most anybody would be happy to help you with this predicament. Let us know who will be picking up your share, and make sure they know when and where to go. If no one will be picking up your box, please let us know in advance and we’ll donate that week’s produce to the Friday Harbor Food Bank on Wednesday.
Q: Is Dancing Seeds Farm organic?
A: We are not Certified Organic; however we follow organic growing practices and don’t do anything that is not allowed in organic certification. We also incorporate sustainability and other practices that aren’t specified in organic certification, such as integrated pest management (encouraging good bugs to help control less desirable bugs), crop rotation, cover cropping, composting/compost teas, and low-till methods. We believe our approach makes our produce “beyond organic.”
Q: Do I get to choose what’s in my box?
A: Sorry, we cannot customize CSA boxes and keep our prices low. We promise you’ll get the best of what’s growing that week. If there is something that you’re allergic to or truly hate and will not eat, let us know and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.
Q: Can I return my empty box from last week to be re-used?
A: YES! Please Please Please bring back your empty box each week. Our boxes are costly and they’re also reusable. If you forget to bring yours back, no worries; you don’t need to go out of your way to get it back to us, it’s not worth your time or gas. Just please do remember to bring ALL of your old boxes the next pickup day.
Q: How did you come up with share price?
A: Based on our 2019 experience and the most popular types of memberships purchased. Our goal was to come up with an average price that is somewhere between our retail and wholesale prices, giving you a great deal for the best produce available.
Q: What can I expect in my box throughout the season?
A: Each box will offer a variety of items, depending on whatever is at the peak of harvest during that week. Examples of what you might expect to receive:
- May: Spinach, radishes, flowering broccoli, rosemary, spring onions, pea shoots.
- June: Beets, kale, cabbage, strawberries, mint, scallions, lettuce, peas
- July: Garlic, lettuce, beets, peas, strawberries, thyme, argula, fennel, onions
- August: onions, lettuce, green beans, tomatoes, zucchini, cilantro, jalapeños, and your choice of blueberries, peaches, or plums
- September: Tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, zucchini, carrots, garlic, microgreens, chives, apples, and pears
- October: Cabbage, radishes, peas, spinach, apples, bok choi, leeks
To sign up
Please print and sign the form below and deliver it to us at our farm store.
Sign up and pay 50% by October 31 for Early Worm Discount.
Sign up and pay 50% by February 15 to guarantee a spot (no discount).
All remaining balances will be due on the first day of CSA pick-up, tentatively scheduled for May 5, 2010.
If you have any more questions please reach out to us via our contact page or call us at 360-622-2330.
PLEASE SIGN ME UP FOR THE DANCING SEEDS FARM 2020 CSA PROGRAM!
___ REGULAR SHARE @ $625 = ________
___ FLEXIBLE SHARE @ $260 = ________
___ FLOWER SHARE @ $150 = ________
FOOD BANK DONATION = ________
I have read the Dancing Seeds Farm CSA Program summary.